Finishing my last quilt so quickly once I picked it up again meant one thing. Time to make another! I had toyed with the idea of giving my last quilt to my daughter, but as it wasn’t started with her in mind, that just didn’t feel right. So I decided to make a strippy quilt using some of the cuter fabrics I’ve picked up over the last few years.
Her third birthday is on June 1, which gives me two months to finish it. I’ve already cut out the strips (about 80 in all), from about 5m of different fabrics. The end result should be about 2m square – plenty big for a single or double bed. I’ve purposely not made it too cutesy, so hopefully she’ll be happy to use it even when she’s a grumpy teenager. Although most of the fabric was bought, some of it is from a baby sling she had as a newborn – it’s the cream with red flowers you can see about seven strips down from the top, and I managed to get about half a metre when I chopped it up (bit scary!).
The first, part finished strip, is shown here lying on top of the vintage quilt I was given when I volunteered at my local charity shop. It’s got a big ink blot (covered up here!) so they couldn’t sell it. My daughter has since also drawn on it in marker pen, but hey ho, it’s getting used.
The strippy design of the new quilt is shamelessly pinched from Jane Brocket. It’s based on the Tulip Field design in her book, The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking. I picked it because I wanted to show off some of the smaller geometric prints, while not taking three years to finish this one!
The strips are cut at random depths mostly, although some were ‘fussy cut’ to show off the patterns – particularly the dolls which, along with the flowers with white centres, is the lead fabric (I had 1m of both). There will be four wide strips across, and 20 deep in each column.
When I get further along I’ll post up info on all the fabrics which are still available but you can get the campervan one from The Makery Emporium in Bath now!
I’m going to back it with my little girl’s old cot sheets, which were made from a supersoft Egyptian cotton king size sheet which I’d cut into four and hemmed when she was a few days old, and I’m now going to stitch back together.
Like my first quilt, I’m going to handquilt, using embroidery thread, as it’s so pretty. This time it’ll be long running stitches, probably along every other seam, which should be a bit quicker than all those little squares last time!